Monday, May 16, 2011

I've Been Shot More Times Than Fifty Cent

Yup; while there aren't any required vaccinations for Zambia, quite a few are recommended.  Obviously.  However, because I'm perhaps one of the most accident-prone people ever, I decided that the "better safe than sorry" mantra was best in this case and opted for all vaccines (including rabies, because I'm a sucker for dogs, especially the crazy, starving, foaming-at-the-mouth variety).

Anyway, over the month of April and the course of three visits to the Travel Clinic (my doctor didn't carry most of the vaccines), I got the following shots.  Appointments #2 and #3 were the follow-up Rabies and Hepatitis A/B series (for 3 shots each to complete the vaccine series).  Some were recommended adult boosters that, apparently, everyone should have anyway (which I didn't know). 

Oh, and the added bonus (being very sarcastic here) is that none of my shots were covered by insurance as they were all optional.  So, in addition to a wicked sore arm for about a month, I was also $2,000 more brokenstein; good thing I'm a teacher and make so much money.

Tetanus                                                          $70
Meningococcal Meningitis                         $135
MMR Booster                                               $80
Polio                                                             $65
TB Test                                                         $60
Rabies     $266 each x 3 =                          $798 (!!!)
Twinrix (Hep. A and B) $150 each x 3 =   $450
Yellow Fever                                              $115
Typhoid (oral capsules)                               $80

Total Number of Shots:  12 (3 more than 50 Cent, I believe--whoot!)

Oh, and I had a reaction to the yellow fever shot and my shoulder/upper arm swelled up, became very hot and red, and I had a raised "hard" spot on my arm for a few weeks.  When the swelling/heat started dissipating, my arm was super itchy.

1 comment:

Ms. N said...

Couldn't you just lie and say that a wild animal bit you to get the rabies vac for free?