Saturday, May 14, 2011

Zambian Logistics

Moving anywhere is a hassle, a drag, a big ole' pain in the ass.  Moving to Zambia is a whole 'nother story!  Below have been some of the biggest concerns/challenges I've encountered in preparation for the move.

DOG(S):
The logistics of what to do with Ruby and Gus were obviously the most pressing on my mind (see ESA Ruby and Goodbye Gus posts for more on that).   
Dog logistics: Check.


MY HOUSE:
This has been, hands-down, the second most stressful part of the international move.  I (with the help of my folks) purchased my adorable house at the worst time ever, in May of 2008.  That was when I had my dream job, teaching Spanish at the alternative high school in Gresham, and was planning to live in Portland and teach at Springwater Trail for at least 10 years.  Then, the economy tanked (read: house value plummeted) and then the economy in Oregon really tanked (read: massive budget cuts and I lost my Spanish job).  Luckily, I scrambled and got a job for this past year, teaching 5th grade, which has really grown on me, but I will lose my job again at the end of June because of more budget cuts, thus the international teaching job.  Anyway, I love my house and I hope/plan to return to Portland someday, but neither selling it or renting it to some sketchy renters sounded promising.  Enter my friend, Jen, who is going to be going to midwifery school here for the next two years.  She is going to rent my house and I couldn't be happier. 





House Logistics: Check.


STUFF:
However, there have been a whole slew of things to deal with.  Luckily, my school, The American International School of Lusaka, has provided a very generous "package" so I do get a moving allowance there, and back, which apparently isn't guaranteed at some international schools.  Per my research, "stuff" in Zambia is fairly expensive and not readily available, so I'm hoping to bring certain things (like kitchen implements, camp gear, teaching resources, toiletry/medical things, bedding, etc.) with.  I priced out many international moving companies and got a quote from Mayflower Movers of just under $3,000 for up to 500 lbs. of stuff.  Pretty spendy, but they don't really do moves of anything under 500 lbs., so I guess that's what I'm going to have to opt for.  Plus, it's door-to-door delivery, including packing, so that should save me some stress and hassle come the end of June.

Also, I get two suitcases of up to 50 lbs on United/Ethiopian Airlines and they charge an additional $150/bag, so I think I'm going to check 3 big bags and my bike.  

In the "stuff" category, I've also realized that I have to buy "stuff" to last me for a year.  (And, by "stuff" I mean: shoes, Sonicare Toothbrush heads, toiletries and makeup that I'm fond of, feminine hygiene supplies, jeans, shoes, Ruby supplies, technology/camera batteries, medicines, and did I mention shoes?).

"Stuff" Logistics: Check.  I think--I guess we'll see when I get to Lusaka!

CAR/DRIVING:
Apparently, it is essential to have a car in Zambia.  Luckily, AISL provides an interest-free car loan to it's teachers (up to $10,000 USD).  After doing a TON of research, for a variety of reasons, I decided that it was best to buy a car from Japan and have it imported to Lusaka.

First, the cars in Zambia are pretty "rode hard and put up wet."  They get driven.  A lot.  On, oftentimes (especially if it's a 4wd, which I want) less-than-desirable road conditions.  I'd been regularly checking used cars in Lusaka websites and found that the majority of the 4wd's available for around $10k had a ton of kilometers.  (Like a 1992 Land Cruiser with 215,000 kms, needing tires and no working heat/air conditioning for $8,000 USD; and this is for sale by one of the teachers who is leaving the school, so I would assume someone pretty legitimate).

Anyway, I found that cars from Japan are regularly shipped/imported to Africa.  Now, there are a ton of logistical issues to deal with in the importation/shipping process, and it's a bit scary to make such a giant purchase, sight-unseen, on the internet.  But, I'm pleased to announce that I have purchased a car and he'll be shipped to me in Lusaka, ready for my pickup at the beginning of August.  Hopefully.

For you car folks, here's the specs on my new "rig":
1998 Isuzu Wizard
Diesel
83,000 kms (and they were Japanese kms, so probably a bit "softer" than African kms)


Wizard

Car Logistics: Check--I think.  Again, time will tell.  Otherwise, "TIA" I guess.


Now, I just need to learn to drive on the wrong side......


No comments: