Monday, July 04, 2011

Moving Internationally: 500 lbs just doesn't go that far

On the topic of moving, my school provides me with a $3,000 relocation allowance (both to Zambia and back again which is, obviously, very important).  Well, since Zambia is a land-locked country with not the best transportation system, it's quite expensive to move there.  I priced out many companies and got a fairly reasonable estimate from Mayflower Movers.  Their agent came out and did a walk-through of my house and provided me with an estimate.  Apparently, the smallest crate (which would weigh approximately 500 lbs.) would cost about $3,000 and fit the majority of the things I wanted to bring.

Per my numerous email exchanges with other teachers at AISL, things in Zambia are surprisingly expensive (approximately 3-5x what you'd expect to pay in the States) and much poorer quality.  So, it made sense to take advantage of the shipping allowance and send some of my things.  In particular, I was told to bring linens/bedding/pillows, cookware, toiletries, feminine hygiene products, camp gear, clothing, etc.  At the last minute, I threw in my boxes of books/teaching supplies I'd planned to send via ground rate at the Post Office; since there was room, I hoped they would be allowed.

So, on Friday, the first, Joey from Mayflower showed up with his big truck and packing supplies.  I'd already packed things pretty well (I thought), but Joey had unpacked, wrapped in paper, and repacked all 500+ pounds of stuff in no time flat.  It was loaded into a big wooden crate (there was actually room leftover) and taken to the Mayflower office where it was weighed (it was actually 60 pounds overweight, but Sam, the lovely woman in charge of international moves, let it slide), wrapped in saran wrap and, theoretically, sent off via some slow ship to South Africa.  After arriving in South Africa, it will, in theory, be loaded onto a big truck and delivered to moi sometime in the beginning of September.  Let's just hope it makes it!

No comments: