Tuesday, July 19, 2011

blogging about Zambia from Mexico

I can't believe that in less than two weeks I'll be in Zambia!  I especially can't believe this fact since I'm only halfway through my last summer session of my Masters.  I'm currently up to my eyebrows in homework, but I did present my Action Research (thesis) on Saturday, so at least one major thing is accomplished.  Hopefully.  We haven't heard back yet if we passed or if we (the presenters) have to go back for rewrites, etc.  So, the waiting is an additional stress added to an already very stressful week full of papers and presentations.

Oh well, I've survived four-and-a-half summer sessions at La Escuela de Idiomas de Guanajuato (where it's sister university, Southern Oregon University, hosts the Summer Language Institute every summer).  Hopefully in less than two weeks I can say that I've completed my Masters in Spanish Language Instruction and can board my flight to Zambia as a vetted "Master."

I suppose I should get back to work as I have so much to do (as always with this program).

In Zambia news, I got my work permit (email) yesterday, Ruby's vet permit should be arriving soon, my car (the Wizard) is set to land in Durban today or tomorrow and will hopefully make it to Lusaka in time for my arrival, and I got an email that my shipment is en route and should arrive sometime in early-September.  Oh, and Ruby's "stroller" (for the airport, plus the carrier part detaches so she can have her own area on the plane) arrived, so I'm going to see if my folks can start sticking her in it with lots of treats (Greenies) so she has positive associations.  I'm actually really nervous about flying with the pooch.

Adíos for now--keep you posted on my classwork and graduation status.

1 comment:

KXJ said...

I smeared butter in a corner of Buddy's carrier every day before we left and he would spend an hour or so licking it (and by doing so got used to the crate). Also, there's something called DAP (Dog Appeasement Pheremone) that most vets have that really keeps the doggies calm. Did you connect with Liza? Good luck on your Master's!