Sunday, September 11, 2011

Crocs, and Hippos, and Elephants--Oh My!

I know I'm woefully behind on my blog posts...now that I *finally* have reliable (and decently fast) internet (and I'm paying for it, believe me), my plan is to stay up-to-date, meanwhile catching up on the last month here in Zambia.

Anyway, this weekend was a mile-marker because I left Lusaka for the first time since arrival (my jaunt to SugarBush Farm--more later--certainly doesn't count).  Anyway, a camping trip to Kiambi, on the Lower Zambezi was organized by the social committee (of which I'm now a part) and I was one of the first to sign up.  Obviously.

As The Wizard (my "rig") is out of commission, Gina and I rode with Jeff and Susan.  It was only about 120 kms, but because of the roads, it took us about 3:30 to get there.  There were about 20 folks from school (including spouses and kids) who made the trip and it was amazing.  The highlight was the 3 hour canoe ride eight of us opted to go on yesterday.  We went upstream in a motor boat and then paddled back down to our campground (which was also a pretty swanky lodge, if you wanted to shell out the big bucks--camping was only $8 per person per night--quite the deal!) in big, 3-seater canoes.  Absolutely amazing (and a bit disconcerting being that close to "big game."  The Crocs scared me more than the hippos (though I know that hippos cause much more damage), and there are no words to describe being that close to an elephant in the wild (I'd say, at the closest, we were 50 feet away).

Below are some of the best photos of the weekend.











1 comment:

Allee said...

Heather, what fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing.